Thursday, July 9, 2009

4th of July in Ming, part 1

(Part of a skit performed by Save the Children's Mingechevir, AZ branch. The performance was intended to highlight focusing on children's needs, especially when parents are aloof. In this particular skit the parents were alcoholics and a prostitute. Very 4th of July-esque, don't ya think?)
(Helping us get ready...)

(Elvin helping us with announcements. The man with the mic is an Azeri who is leaving for a year in the States via scholarship funds. Well done Elvin. He will be attending Berea College in Kentucky).


My sitemates and i help a huge event in Ming for the 4th. For about four hours we invited Azerbaijani children and families to participate in a series of games and events. Approximately 80 children came and about 30-40 volunteers (not just from the Peace Corps!) helped. Games/events included: American history, American geography, capture the flag (my game!), m&m relay races, soccer, obstacle courses, dancing, a presentation by Save the Children, and more. It was a lot of work, but surely worth it. Unfortunately, a lot of funding for the event came out of our pockets (Ming volunteers only, for the most part), but overall the event was cheap.
On a personal note, I had about 10 volunteers stay with me. My whole neighborhood was excited about our big American holiday and the influx of visitors. I never felt so strangely famous in my life. I told my neighbors about my many visitors in advance and had no complaints about sound, etc. I love my neighborhood.

No comments: