Thursday, November 19, 2009

Alexis does bollywood...

me and my new indian fam...
Just kidding. I don't know why, but many many indians wanted their picture taken with lexi and I. the woman to my left in the orange sari started hugging me and i started laughing, so she signaled to her entire family to get into my photograph. MY photograph mind you...they had no camera. Anyways, I love them. The family elder...one of the men with a turban on...tried out his English on me. Made for a short conversation, but what joy!
I loved India. all of it. yes it was dirty. yes it was crowded, but it was fascinating. the colors are inspiring: brightly colored saris anywhere you turn, painted buildings, unabashed love for color everywhere. Indians love to smile and they were always helpful and kind. Then there is the Indian headbob...you gotta see it one day. Yes, people were constantly trying to sell us crap. yes. yes they were. India has 1.17 billion people in it so anything is seemingly true about India. there are poor people, rich people, modern people, traditional people, hindus, buddhists, jains, muslims, christians...everything. there are just a TON OF PEOPLE.
I've never been to a nation so capable of blending the modern with the traditional. Diversity and a sense of expressiveness is at large in India. you walk down a street and see impoverished children trying to catch your eye with a performance, a rich man with a blackberry in the back of a car being driven by one of his servants, a teenager with an mp3 player, red dot third eyes, a fluttering of saris of all colors, jingling bangles, gigantic dogs, and a camel carrying some load of textiles. god only knows...but it is all there at the same time. it is hard to describe.
lexi and i went to 5 cities: New Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Goa, and Mumbai. We flew domestically twice. The airlines were secure and easy to enjoy (unless you are afraid of flying no matter where you are). Actually, the security in India is very high...they have a real problem with domestic terrorists. I was searched every time I entered a larger building. Metal detectors are everywhere.
India is a late night country. Generally places do not open before 10am and markets might stay open until 10pm. In Delhi, Goa, and Mumbai many people don't eat dinner until after 10pm and they stay out until the sun comes up.
All I know is that I want to go back. There is still so much to explore. I encourage everyone to reconsider what they think they know about India.

1 comment:

löki gale said...

I just listened to a bunch of iron and wine.